Tom Meagher. Photo: Penny Stephens
Jill Meagher's husband has lashed out at the Adult Parole Board, saying it disrespected him and its members are cowards after it failed to answer a series of questions about why her killer was free to prowl the streets and murder his wife.
Ms Meagher was snatched off the street while she was walking home in Brunswick last September. She was raped and strangled in an alley off Sydney Road before being buried in a shallow grave near Gisborne, north of Melbourne.
It's unbelievable. If that's how that department runs, it's completely incompetent.
Mr Meagher told News Limited that five days after his wife's killer, Adrian Bayley, was jailed for life with a 35-year minimum, he emailed the parole board, asking why it had released Bayley, a known sexual predator.
Jill Meagher was abducted and murdered in September.
Mr Meagher said the board failed to respond to his email, sent on June 24.
He sent another email to the board on June 29: "I can see the vigour you put in the capriciously pouring rapists and murderers on to our streets does not extend to responding to victims of your incompetence," he wrote.
"Whether this is the slow moving bureaucracy, laziness or good old fashioned cowardice is of little importance to me (although I would imagine the latter is probably on the money)."
The parole board finally acknowledged Mr Meagher's email last week after it was told by Victoria Police that it had ignored Mr Meagher, the Herald Sun reported. It's general manager David Provan attributed the delay to a faulty spam filter.
But Mr Meagher told News Limited that was unacceptable.
"It's unbelievable. If that's how that department runs, it's completely incompetent."
Mr Meagher said he was considering joining a class action against the state government over criminals who have killed while on parole.
Mr Meagher said he had not planned on making his emails public, but felt he was forced to after Mr Provan told the Sunday Herald Sun at the weekend that he had received a prompt response.