The 9 Ugliest Feminists in America

Vintage image of Rosie the Riveter by J. Howard Miller. Courtesy National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution.

It’s awards season in America. With the Golden Globes behind us and the Oscars on the horizon, the spirit of recognising achievement continues with a list of The 9 Ugliest Feminists in America.

The list was compiled by men’s rights blog Return of Kings. For the uninitiated, Return of Kings calls itself ‘a blog for heterosexual, masculine men ... who believe men should be masculine and women should be feminine.’ According to the site’s owners, ‘Sadly, yesterday’s masculinity is today’s misogyny.’

As you can imagine, the site is an absolute hoot of a read.

Jezebel’s Lindy West topped the ugly opinionated chick list because, ‘She’s the fattest feminist in this round-up. Her crusade to eliminate fat shaming (on Jezebel) is designed so that when Skynet becomes self-aware, she’ll be finally seen as culturally attractive.’

Author and activist Kate Harding took out # 8 spot also for being fat and blogger Amanda Marcotte was awarded #3 position for her big jaw.

Yes, you’ve got that right. Apparently the width of your jawbone is now a marker of your character and worth as a human being.

I’ve not had the pleasure of reading every post on Return of Kings — so much bile, so little time — but they publish Pulitzer-worthy investigative journalism such as, Feminists Try To Debunk False Rape Culture With False Data and, my personal favourite, Misandry is Real.

In case you’re wondering, proof that misandry is real can be found in spellchecking software. No, really. This is serious. Apparently ‘misogyny’ comes up in spellcheckers but ‘misandry’ doesn’t. See, even spellchecking software discriminates against men!

Just as an aside, misandry does come up on mine, but hey, I’m a feminist and therefore probably in cahoots with Microsoft on the whole selectively-omit-misandry-from-spellcheck-functionality-conspiracy. (I wonder if Track Changes is also in on the plot to oppress these whingers men.)

The author of this turd of an article is Roosh V, whose contributions to literature include such timeless classics as Bang: a textbook for picking up girls and getting laid, Bang Columbia — there’s a theme developing here — and Day Bag.

But Roosh isn’t just interested in banging though. Oh no. He’s a political kind of guy. In Roosh’s batsh*t-crazy mind, compiling a fugly list is a political statement about feminism and beauty.

'Feminists want to be valued for their brainpower and ideas above all else, but they still engage in professional photoshoots to push the prettiest picture of themselves on their web sites and book jackets. I guess even feminism can’t completely demolish a girl’s desire to be pretty.'

Uh-huh.

It’s not the first time this nut-job logic has been applied to feminists. I’ve been taken to task several times by ‘well-meaning’ people concerned about my hypocrisy. How can I claim to be a feminist when I wear lipstick? I wore a dress with a split in it. What a sellout I must be. And on it goes.

Let’s make this simple for Roosh and his pals. Caring about your appearance isn’t anti-feminist or hypocritical. Doing your hair before you have a portrait taken for a website or a book jacket is called ‘basic grooming’, not selling out.

Wanting to look a certain way isn’t the same thing as objecting to having your character and worth reduced to your appearance. Just like men, women want to be valued for their ideas and their actions, not whether or not Roosh considers them bang-worthy.

But rather than actually trying to wrap his limited cognitive resources around this distinction, Roosh V and his ‘masculine men’ vilify women on the grounds of being ugly and unf*ckable.

For example, ‘RASER’ commented: ‘the chances of those *females* [cough] getting raped or having sex [with a male!] are VERY very small. And they outlawed euthanasia, should have been aborted, we dont want that filth breeding….’

And ‘Bob Wallace’ tried his hand at comedy, writing  ‘You owe me a new keyboard because I just threw up all over mine.’ Such a wit, is our Bob.

I’m not sure what rights the men’s rights movement is fighting for by compiling such lists. The great theorists of political rights — including John Stuart Mill, Jeremy Bentham or John Rawls — don’t have much to say when it comes to the right to name-call, judge the f*ckability of women or regret that they haven’t been killed.

Then again, I suspect Roosh V and his kings won’t find many converts to their bitter little crusade for normalising yesterday’s masculinity misogyny.

Kasey Edwards is the best-selling author of 4 books 30-Something and Over It, 30-Something and The Clock is Ticking, OMG! That's Not My Husband, and OMG! That's Not My Child. www.kaseyedwards.com

• '....this turd of an article...' Why not treat it like a turd - flush and forget? Dealing with it just gets your hands very dirty.

yeah-no
    January 21, 2013, 8:13AM
    • Twenty bucks says that RASER is a spotty virgin sitting in his parents' basement, wondering why all the girls at school keep laughing at him when he's such a "nice guy". Probably trying to work out how he can bargain down that hooker on the corner to the twenty bucks he's saved up from his pocket money.

For bonus laughs, if you can stand it:

Red Pony
      January 21, 2013, 8:42AM
      • Totally... he strikes me as the fat kid in high school who was turned down by everyone and now passes his days by playing World of Warcraft online and meticulously creating and online persona which is everything that he wishes his real life one was.

Its disturbing that this guy may be seen as representing the rest of "my kind".

Adrian
        January 21, 2013, 10:02AM
      • I know a guy who talks exactly like the guys mentioned in this article. He also loves to regale everyone with stories about how often he gets laid, but I don't know of anyone who has actually witnessed him picking up... Deeply mysoginistic fellow.

Ben
        Newcastle
        January 21, 2013, 10:36AM
      • Hmm. Criticising stereotyping by using stereotyping.

That's certain to be productive.

DM
        January 21, 2013, 11:15AM
      • "Probably trying to work out how he can bargain down that hooker on the corner to the twenty bucks he's saved up from his pocket money" and "he strikes me as the fat kid in high school who was turned down by everyone and now passes his days by playing World of Warcraft online and meticulously creating and online persona which is everything that he wishes his real life one was"

Well done. Nothing like rising above a pathetic name calling twit, by being...pathetic name calling twits.

He is obviously an immature person, but responses like that are exactly the same as the bile he typed in the first place. For example, what's wrong with being "the fat kid in highschool" playing "World of Warcraft turned down by everyone"? Maybe that 'fat kid' was shunned by snobs like you because he was fat? Your insinuation is that he became the way he is because of his weight??? Why mention weight at all in response to his article which was exactly what he did?

What if someone on here accused a female of being that "Fat girl in high school holed up in her room reading 'Dolly' magazine wishing she wasnt truned down by everyone", imagine your response???

I accept you were pretty angry when you read the article and typed the response, but next time, take a deep breath and think first. Hatred and bullying is not a male vs female thing, it's a human thing.

Bucks
        January 21, 2013, 11:16AM
      • @ Bucks

I never said he was a fat kid (that really would be mean). I did say he was probably spotty, but that was meant to allude to his adolescence rather than his appearance. Similarly, I don't suggest that he'll be shunned by women for how he looks, but for the nonsense that spews from his keyboard and probably his mouth.

Red Pony
        January 21, 2013, 11:36AM
      • I said he was probably the fat kid in school and I stand by it. clearly he (the author of this blog) does not give a care for the people's feelings he may hurt by calling THEM fat or saying their jaw is too big so why should I extend him the respect that he clearly fails to give others.

Two wrongs don't make a right? They do in my book.

Adrian
        January 21, 2013, 12:02PM
    • The best thing you can do to get under these pigs' skin is to ignore them. I'm sure they'll enjoy the numbers of people following the link and giving them attention. It's probably the only interaction with women they get.

Jon
      reality
      January 21, 2013, 8:48AM
      • Unfortunately you are incorrect on this point beta boy.

Hoss