Does racism against Anglo Saxons exist?

Date

Chancellor's Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Technology Sydney

View more articles from Alecia Simmonds

Oppressed anglo saxon sits alone on white sand.

Oppressed anglo saxon sits alone on white sand. Photo: Jonathan Wood

It’s not easy being of Anglo-Saxon origin.  My morning news is a carnivalesque horror show of Anglo-Saxons burdened by their positions of power: making laws, running companies, owning everything. Crushed under the weight of shared global responsibility.

I turn on my television for some repose only to see a kind of white slave trade in blonde actors forced to represent the national culture: Neighbours, Wonderland, The Time of Our Lives. ‘Please’ I howl into the void ‘Give us freedom or give us death!’

Stepping outside into my leafy Eastern Suburbs enclave I seek solace in my harbour views only to be overpowered by the scent of my own oppression: SPF 50. Suddenly it dawns on me: I’m living in a white ghetto. I turn to food, to comfort eating, and find only quinoa.

Wonderland.

Wonderland.

Shepherd’s Pie, fellow Anglo-Saxons, Lest We Forget.

A life of little pigment is a life half-lived. Which is why I was delighted to find that we have laws to protect our race. Laws that have inadvertently come to act as a shield against the slings and arrows of bad genes. These laws are the racial anti-vilification provisions of the Anti-Discrimination Act.

I know, I know. You thought that these were there to protect racial and ethnic minorities, right? You thought that they were intended to provide redress for the very real physiological and psychological harm inflicted upon disadvantaged ethnic groups by racist words. You might have read studies showing how racist words often precede violent attacks. And if you’re philosophically inclined you probably pondered the fact that one person’s freedom to speak shouldn’t come at the expense of another person’s freedom to live without fear or violence. And after all this you probably concluded that these laws are there to protect society’s most vulnerable members.

WELL THINK AGAIN! Unbeknownst to most Australians, these laws can also be utilised by Anglo-Saxons. Round eyes rejoice! No longer does anti-discrimination law have to be a zero sum game where the more minorities get, the more we lose.

I came to this realisation recently when a friend told me that she was being sued for racial vilification. Now, I’d never liked this friend. She was a self-hating Anglo who wrote for the newspaper.

In one article she said that Anglo-Saxons had terrible skin tone and bad teeth. I gasped and felt nauseous upon reading it. And I wasn’t the only one.  Some friends murmured darkly about how her views could slide into auto-genocide.

Luckily, a fellow Anglo-Saxon decided that it constituted assault and went to the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission (HREOC) about it. Brave, brave cracker! He claimed it was hate speech.

While I liked his pluck, I didn’t like his chances of success. HREOC have to investigate every complaint so I knew that he’d get a response, but the chances of them pursuing the matter were slim.

Some chattering class, bunyip elite, bleeding heart, do-gooder lawyer would say that it’s a waste of taxpayer’s money; that the laws were there to redress historical and contemporary discrimination against minorities. But no! They decided to pursue the matter to the point where my self-loathing Anglo friend had to get lawyers to draft submissions to the Commissioner. Yes, they took it seriously.

This made me wonder how many other courageous snow-flakes there had been out there willing to face the fires of liberal hell to stand up for our rights.

So I did some research and found that in fact one of the earliest cases heard by the Commission for racial vilification was by a fellow Anglo Saxon called Bryant who in 1995 charged the Sunday Mail, or the Queensland Newspapers Group, with racial vilification because they published articles and letters that referred to English people as ‘pommies’ or ‘poms’.

Yes, that’s right: Pommies. God I can barely write those loathsome words without thinking of the violence, the hatred, the vilification Anglo-Saxons have endured under their name.

Sadly Bryant lost. Sir Ronald Wilson who presided over the case said that while he can accept that Bryant was personally offended, the test was whether a reasonable person would be offended by the word pommie.

Wilson said no. He also said that ‘the notion of hatred suggests the section allows a fair degree of journalistic licence including the use of flamboyant or colloquial language.’ Well Ronald, you call it flamboyant and colloquial, I call it murderous and cruel.

My self-hating friend also had her case dropped. She cheered and I wept, for all my oppressed white brothers and sisters.

So what can we learn from this story? That in Australia it is possible for Anglo-Saxons to sue for racial vilification and that your complaint about being called a pommie or being told you have bad teeth will be taken seriously. You may not win, but public money will be spent on an investigation.

But if you're Arab, you'll probably get nothing because the kind of hate speech you're most likely to receive will be tied in with the fact that people assume you're Muslim and racial hatred laws don't cover religion. So people can be as Islamaphobic as they want. Which as far as I’m concerned is a good thing, given that they swan about with their luxurious beards and dashing robes like self-appointed high-clerics of Australian society while we Anglos can’t even walk into a shop without people thinking we’ve got a bomb in our Country Road bag.

So raise your warm beer and let’s drink to laws that protect the status quo!

• Haha, racism is funny. But only when its against those evil pasty oppressors.

Otherwise its a horrendous crime against humanity.

Freddie Frog
    October 10, 2013, 9:13AM
    • No-one ever said it wasn't easier being white. But these people are merely saying that white people too have the right not to be abused and vilified. Plus, as white people are dying out, you also risk setting a dangerous precedent that its OK to do so based on the absurd notion of "historical priviliege".

Two wrongs do not make a right. Someday, hopefully, you may realise this.

WRT
      October 10, 2013, 9:21AM
      • I agree with you.

Shouldn't laws be there to protect any one who is abused or vilified based on their race or skin colour?

I don't care who you are or what the colour of your skin is or where your parents were born. You are entitled to your freedom of speech.

But if you speak in hatred towards me because i'm a fair-skinned Australian and you're Indigenous or Asian or Arabic or whatever, shouldn't you be held to the same laws and accountability as I would be if I spoke in hatred towards you because of your skin colour, ethnicity etc?

That's what equality is. I seriously don't get the uproar of this article. You want equality? That's where all people are treated equally. That's the definition. You don't treat minorities "specially" because they are minorities - you treat them the same as everyone else. That's the point.

Adrian
        October 10, 2013, 12:44PM
    • What about being Irish Catholic?

It has deminished a lot, but there is still some very entrenched prejudice, especially among members of the WASP establishment.

JB
      October 10, 2013, 9:32AM
      • This is too funny... :)

KittyKat
        October 10, 2013, 9:41AM
        • At least the white Anglo- Saxon female has more protection under this law than the white Anglo-Saxon male. This is probably why in both examples the cases were lost. This just proves that the people that made up these laws have a psychological defect based on deep rooted feelings of guilt passed on by a lopsided view of history. If you were to look at the caste system in many Asian countries racism is not only alive and well but actively endorsed. So while these laws are so biased against Anglo-Saxons their adherence to is going to be and is,so actively ignored by many.

rastus
          October 10, 2013, 9:51AM
          • 'Does racism against Anglo-Saxons exist?'
            No, it doesn't. There you go, easy.

Sir Lolsworthy
            October 10, 2013, 9:52AM
            • Of course it does exist.

Try sitting with the Asian girls at school during lunch time, if you even so much as look/sound Aussie. My daughter came home in tears, as she was told to sit with her own "kind". The one Asian good friend she made (one on one, previously) has now been bullied into not being her friend any more.

Try making friends with your boyfriend's family, if they are Indian or Asian. You are seen as OK ,"as a bit of fun" before he marries someone from their own culture/race.

Try walking down the streets of some of our suburbs without being called names for being white skinned.

Why is it OK for racial discrimination to only go one way? Why is it brushed off and ignored (and laughed at) when it is against white skinned people - in their own country?

Sir What?
              October 10, 2013, 11:04AM
            • Why? Because you were born with all the wealth, all the power, all the jobs!
              All of it! All of everything! Except of course if you weren't. If you were born poor and like 99% of the people had to work your shiny white butt off for everything you have. Now you need to feel guilty about everything you worked for.

cranky
              pants
              October 10, 2013, 11:18AM
            • As a non-Anglo, I can tell you that we used to refer to you folks as "Skips" (as in Skippy the Bush Kanga-rooter, thank you "Acropolis Now"). However, that was in fun and a bit of a push-back to the more real racism we were getting from some people back in the '70s and '80s. These days though, Sir What's experience seems to be becoming more common. The "bit of fun" attitude has been around for more than a decade incidentally. Sir Lolsworthy may be laughing out the other side of his face one day, especially if he ever gets "go back to your own suburb" muttered at him if he should ever stray off his own patch.

YS