35 and I can't cook

"When I go out to my local cheap and cheerful Thai joint, I’m eating with other people, even though none of them are actually talking to me."

I’m 35 years old and I can’t cook.

Well, that’s not quite true. I’m 35 years old and I don’t cook. When the mood takes me, I can cook spaghetti bolognese that has been described as “surprisingly good”, in what I would describe as a “triumph of low expectations”.

I can also cook a serviceable roast, probably because it only seems to require me to buy an expensive piece of meat and whack it in the oven for as much time as the sticker on the cling-wrap tells me. Any culinary task that only requires, a clock, an oven and basic literacy, even I can accomplish. Unless the only clock available is the one built into the oven, in which case there’s no way I’ll be able to get it to work.

I can boil an egg with aplomb, as long as I Google to remind myself how long you’re supposed to boil it for. I can also boil water and put ravioli in it and microwave the accompanying sauce, and indeed did so through many of my university years. In those days I also cooked tinned spaghetti, which was dull, although not as much as those times when I was broke and feasted on white rice and soy sauce.

Nevertheless, my repertoire is best described as limited. Which is a pity, because I was quite the culinary innovator at the age of eight, I’ll have you know. That’s when I invented my trademark dish, ‘Bread Bits’. Here is the recipe, exclusively for Daily Life.

BREAD BITS
© Dominic Knight 1985

1) Take two slices of bread. Nothing fancy now, just regular sliced multigrain will do.

2) Artfully rip the bread up into pieces of roughly a square inch in size. (Roughly 2.5cm in metric.)

3) Sizzle a knob of butter in a frying pan and place the bread on it, frying it lightly.

4) Break two eggs over the top and stir.

5) Continue until the egg seems to be cooked, and then serve.

6) Garnish to taste. Adding tomato sauce is advised in order to make the dish taste primarily of tomato sauce.

Optional step: Before eating, take a moment to reflect on my extraordinary ingenuity at the age of eight, and what I might have accomplished by 35 if I’d stuck with this cooking lark.

The dish isn’t perfect, I’ll admit. For one thing, had I been more of a foodie back then, I’d have called it frittata del pane. But I think it holds up fairly well.

Now, I’m not one of these dudes who thinks that food preparation is a woman’s job, and happily sits watching the football and then makes a big production of stacking the dishwasher, as though that in any way constituted an equal division of labour. I’m more than happy to share equally in such important domestic chores as dialling for takeaway pizzas and throwing away the boxes afterwards.

What’s more, I quite enjoy cooking when I give it a go every six months or so. But since I live by myself (op cit), it feels like a waste of effort that could go into more important activities like watching Game of Thrones and wondering whether I should get a flatmate and/or pets.

Plus, when you spend the best part of an hour faffing around in the kitchen only to spend ten minutes eating it in front of the television, you feel like a bit of a loser. Whereas when I go out to my local cheap and cheerful Thai joint, I’m eating with other people, even though none of them are actually talking to me.

What’s more, the social rituals of dining are very much group-based, so when I cook at home and then sit there finding fault with my own cooking, there’s nobody there to protest that it’s lovely and that they don’t know what I’m talking about.

So I save cooking for those rare occasions when I hold a dinner party. The problem with that, of course, is that the pressure to succeed is high, and that I lack experience. This can lead to situations like a recent dinner party when the roast wasn’t ready to serve until 10pm. Unfortunately hilarious jokes about my general hopelessness or how we’re eating “European style” can only do so much to mitigate the embarrassment.

I’ve never stuffed up a meal to the point of total inedibility, or at least if I have, people have been sufficiently polite not to tell me, but it’s a fairly foolhardy approach. Cooking only when you’re hosting a dinner party is like not doing much preparation and expecting to get straight into the Olympic swimming team. In other words, it’s like being Ian Thorpe.

The other problem is that our society’s obsession with cooking has raised the bar uncomfortably high. The old staples no longer cut it in an era where most of my friends won’t dream of serving anything at a dinner party that hasn’t come from a fancy providore or a farmer’s market. And thanks to MasterChef, you can’t just serve up a Sara Lee apple pie and Blue Ribbon ice cream for dessert. Nowadays, you’ve got to attempt a snow egg.

I tell myself I’ll get into cooking eventually, much as I tell myself I’ll get into golf. When you have kids, cooking becomes essential, for reasons of both economy and logistics. And I already know how to cook my own favourite childhood dish of spag bol. Maybe, on special occasions like birthdays, I’ll even serve my kids a bit of my special frittata del pane. But in these solo days, mine will remain a casa del takeaway.

16 comments so far

• hahah great article.

I love cooking and pretty much cook for my partner and I every night.

But I feel your pain when it comes to throwing dinner parties... such pressure!!

Adrian
    June 21, 2012, 9:48AM
    • "...when you spend the best part of an hour faffing around in the kitchen only to spend ten minutes eating it in front of the television, you feel like a bit of a loser." Ha ha totally agree Dom - i live alone and love it - and although i (think i) am a good cook i just can't be bothered being elaborate when it is just me - if i am making something delicious i need feedback from someone other than myself! At home - i have a rule that it can't take longer to prepare than it does to eat... preferably from one bowl in the comfort of the lounge chair!

Jen
      June 21, 2012, 10:12AM
      • :) funny!!
        Cooking is not fun when you don't have time but it is very enjoyable when done well. Perhaps you should make a big batch and freeze it! like pie, soup etc. I also love those big instant noodle packet you can get in Asian groceries. They're about $1.50 each and tasted much better than the cheaper version. I add vegies such as mushroom, lettuce or other Asian greens to turn an unhealthy option to a healthy option! taste alright too :) Another quick option is omelette, to make it a meal just add cheese, mushroom, herbs, spring onion, sausages or chorizo and wahlah!!!

Ann
        June 21, 2012, 10:19AM
        • But...batch cooked frozen meals are lunch, not dinner. I don't know why, but for years I'd make a big batch of curry, stew etc on the weekend and freeze it in my little tupperware containers to take to work for lunch, but I never ate them for dinner which was always the singleton staples of take-away, cheese on toast, etc. Maybe it's just the feeling of loserdom that comes from eating leftovers without having had an initial meal that they were left over from...

DisDis
          June 21, 2012, 2:08PM
      • I agree about the goofy social cachet people attach to "authentic" cuisine made with overpriced produce ("Oh, we used to eat this all the time in Lhasa. I killed and cleaned the biodynamic goat myself.") I love food, food's great, but why do we ("we" being the kind of people that read articles like this) have to be such ridiculous nerds about it?

This is one of the reasons barbecues are so great, all the "foodies" can fart around with live mudcrabs and caramelised peaches to their heart's content and you can quickly grill a nice rare steak when they're done. Everyone's happy.

rl
        sydney
        June 21, 2012, 11:12AM
        • @rl, hit the nail right on the head!

After returning from a trip to a few northern regions of Italy recently, where food, coffee, (in fact everything), is of such a high, fuss-free standard, it made me realise just what w*nkers we are about food in Australia.

Everything has to be bio-dynamic, organic, locally-sourced, "far side of the planet beyond a village no one has heard of"-sourced, uber-expensive. Otherwise, it's considered crud. And then most of the time it is. Why can't it just be good fresh food, without the w*nk-speak.

Dr Jay
          South Yarra
          June 21, 2012, 4:14PM
      • Hmmmm.... tut tut.... just sounds to me like you're lazy. Also, food that you have prepared yourself from scratch is healthiest-you know exactly what you're eating, which is handy when you want to slim down *cough*.... too much salt/sugar/msg in all but the highest quality restaurants.... (and who cares about these if you're paying $$$$$!).

Hmmm
        June 21, 2012, 11:43AM
        • Lazy?? What, are you Jamie Oliver or something???

Joolia Goolia
          June 21, 2012, 2:21PM
        • Agree, laziness it is.

Stir fry done in 10 mins as student: slivers of meat, veg and one of a selection of sauces balanced with soy/ginger/lime to taste.

ChrisC
          June 21, 2012, 9:31PM
        • Agree.
          @Joolia Goolia- with a moniker like that I shudder what you eat!

no Abbott
          June 22, 2012, 1:25AM

Make a comment

You are logged in as [Logout]

All information entered below may be published.

Error: Please enter your screen name.

Error: Your Screen Name must be less than 255 characters.

Error: Your Location must be less than 255 characters.

Error: Please enter your comment.

Error: Your Message must be less than 300 words.

Post to

You need to have read and accepted the Conditions of Use.

Your comment has been submitted for approval.