Jen Glantz on bridesmaid duties. Image supplied.
Craigslist can often set you rocketing into a pit of despair at the humanity of it, from the jars of bellybutton lint to the human-sized hamster wheels for sale. But then you remember that on Craigslist you can buy and sell everything, and it is the marketplace for people who think outside the square.
For Glantz, her Craigslist ad is not a joke, rather an opportunity to share her immense bridesmaid knowledge.
Jen Glantz on bridesmaid duties (again). Image supplied.
"I posted the ad after I was asked to be a bridesmaid, twice, in the span of 48 hours. People were nicknaming me a professional bridesmaid, so I said why not try to do this for other women?" she says.
Who needs a professional bridesmaid you might ask? What kind of functioning person with people in their lives hires a professional bridesmaid?
Well, as Glantz can attest by the response to her ad, plenty.
"They've [responses to the ad] been pouring in - and I hope they don't stop! ... A lot of women, and even men asking on behalf of their brides, think this is a fantastic idea," she says.
Need more convincing? As Glantz writes in the ad, here's why you might need her services:
- You don’t have any other girlfriends except your third cousin, twice removed, who is often found sticking her tongue down an empty bottle of red wine.
- Your fiancé has an extra groomsmen and you’re looking to even things out so your pictures don’t look funny and there’s not one single guy walking down the aisle by himself
- You need someone to take control and make sure bridesmaid #4 buys her dress on time and doesn’t show up three hours late the day of the wedding or paint her nails lime green.
Doesn't it all make sense? Especially when you consider how fraught weddings can be? A professional bridesmaid can do all her bridesmaid duties and wear a dress she hates with nary a tiff or taking it all personally because you're not actually friends. The stakes are low.
As Glantz can attest, bridesmaids are asked to do a lot, and sometimes isn't it best left to someone with zero emotional investment and who you'll never see her again?
Here is what the Glantz can do for you:
- Holding up the 18 layers of your dress so that you can pee with ease on your wedding day
- Catching the bouquet and then following that moment up with my best Miss America-like “Omg, I can’t believe this” speech
- Doing the electric and the cha-cha slide
- Responding in a timely manner to pre-wedding email chains created by other bridesmaids and the maid of honour.
Sure, you want to spend your "special day" with those closest to you, but wouldn't it be better to have them sitting in the front pew, watching you get hitched with misty eyes and love - and a small kernel of envy - in their heart?
For Glantz, who says that she wasn't sure how her ad would be received, the positive reactions have proved that there's a real gap in the market.
"I honestly wasn't sure. I figured half the people out there would think I was crazy and half of them would respond with a 'are you for real?' The immense positive results of this ad make me realise that there is quite the need for something like this and I'm glad I can help out," she says.
Costs for Glantz's services will be on a "bride-to-bride basis", says Glantz, and will depend on factors such as travel and out-of-pocket costs.
Think about it.
You can see the ad here