Ricotta, chickpea and rocket salad with lemon-anchovy dressing
Photo: William Meppem
Welcome warmer weather with this fabulously fresh and simple salad.
- 400g canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2-3 handfuls fresh rocket
- 300g fresh ricotta
- Lemon-anchovy dressing
- 3 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- freshly ground pepper
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 handful basil leaves, torn
- 1 handful mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 small handful flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
To make the dressing, mash the anchovies, garlic and a little pepper in a mortar with a pestle.
Slowly pound in the oil and lemon juice and finally the herbs, until you have a thick green slush.
Check the seasoning, and set aside.
Mash half the chickpeas in a bowl.
Add salt and pepper, the olive oil and the lemon juice, and mix well, then fold in the remaining whole chickpeas.
Place some chickpea mixture on each of 4 plates.
Place the rocket beside the chickpeas and drizzle with half the dressing.
Divide the ricotta among the plates, drizzle with the remaining dressing and serve.
Got a favourite recipe? Share your recipe