Penne with zucchini and tomato sauce
Photo: Simone De Peak
Steve Manfredi says "The first time you make this, start the sauce first then put on the water for the pasta," he says. "When you get really fast at it, put the water on first, make the sauce and try for a personal best."
- 1 leek, white part cut into rounds
- 2 or 3 zucchinis cut into 1/2 cm thick semi-circles
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 400g ripe tomatoes, chopped (or canned)
- a handful of flat-leaf parsley, rough-chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 500g penne or other short pasta
- grated parmesan cheese to taste
Fry the leeks, garlic and zucchini in the olive oil for half a minute. Add the tomatoes and simmer for eight to 10 minutes. Add the parsley and season with salt and pepper. Toss it with the cooked pasta and serve with grated cheese.
Any pasta left over is good the next day.
Got a favourite recipe? Share your recipe