Mussels with fennel and vermouth
Jeremy and Jane Strode
- Olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and finely sliced, top fronds reserved
- 2kg mussels, washed and de-bearded
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 200ml vermouth*
- 150ml cream
- 1 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper
Place a large, heavy-based saucepan over a high heat. Add a dash of olive oil and fry onion, garlic and sliced fennel for 1 minute. Add mussels, thyme, bay leaves and vermouth. Cover with a lid and cook, stirring occasionally, until mussels open, about 5 minutes. Add cream and parsley.
Season and serve mussels, cooking liquid and vegetables in large bowls. Top with fennel fronds and eat with crusty bread.
* We use Noilly Prat vermouth but you can substitute white wine.
Got a favourite recipe? Share your recipe