Mushroom and tofu with beanthread noodles
Photo: Marina Oliphant
Mushrooms, fresh and dried, and eggplant are perfect partners with tofu for a meat-free meal with gentle flavours that's still satisfying.
- 5 dried mushrooms
- 4 pieces dried black fungus
- 1 bunch broccolini, cut into short lengths
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 5 cm knob ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced
- 100g fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 small, slim eggplant, halved lengthwise and cut into 1 cm slices
- 100g beanthread vermicelli
- 100g silken tofu, diced
- 2 tbsp coriander sprigs
Soak dried mushrooms and black fungus in hot water for at least 30 minutes, then drain, discard stalks and finely slice. Cook broccolini in simmering salted water for three minutes and drain.
Heat stock, soy, hoisin sauce and sesame oil with ginger, chilli, garlic, dried mushrooms, black fungus, fresh mushrooms and eggplant, and simmer for 10 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
Cook noodles in simmering salted water for one minute or until just tender, then drain. Add broccolini and tofu to mushrooms and heat through. Serve with noodles and top with coriander and your favourite chilli sauce.
Got a favourite recipe? Share your recipe