Hot red duck curry
Red hot duck curry. Photo: Katie Quinn Davies
A one-pot curry gets the night firing, and cuts out excess washing up.
- 3-4 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 270g can coconut cream
- 6 Thai (or apple) eggplants, quartered
- 1/2 bunch Thai basil, leaves removed and stalks finely chopped (discard woody ends)
- 225g can bamboo shoots, drained
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 Chinese barbecued duck, boned and meat cut into 4cm pieces
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- steamed rice or roti, to serve
Cook paste in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat, stirring in just the thick cream from the top of the coconut cream can. (If there is none, add 2 tbsp coconut cream.)
Fry for 3 minutes or until bubbling and separating a little.
Add eggplant, remaining coconut cream, basil stalks, bamboo shoots and 1 cup water, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes, duck and basil leaves; cook for 5-10 minutes.
Add water to make more sauce, if desired. Stir in fish sauce.
Got a favourite recipe? Share your recipe