Broad bean caponata
In season ... broad beans. Photo: Marina Oliphant
This usually accompanies fish or shellfish, but adding broad beans makes it a great first course.
- 300g eggplant, cut into 1cm dice
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 30g onion, cut into 1cm dice
- 80g celery heart, cut into 1cm dice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup double-peeled broad beans, blanched
- 50g olives, pitted and chopped
- 50g tomato, diced
- 20g Sicilian capers, washed and desalted
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
Pan-fry eggplant in 1 tbsp olive oil until golden.
Pan-fry onion in 1 tbsp olive oil but don't let it colour.
Blanch celery for 2 minutes in boiling salted water.
Heat sugar in a saucepan until completely melted and light caramel in colour. Add vinegar to make a syrup.
Just before serving, add syrup to all the nuts and vegetables and mix.
Add 2 tbsp olive oil, season with salt and pepper, add parsley and mix again.
Got a favourite recipe? Share your recipe