Arroz con pollo (chicken and rice)
- 1.6kg whole chicken, cut into 12 pieces (get your butcher to do this)
- 80ml olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and finely diced
- 1 green capsicum, seeded and finely diced
- 4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1.5 litres chicken stock, heated
- 300g Calasparra (or short-grained) rice
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 1/2 tsp Spanish sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp thyme leaves, picked
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 4 garlic cloves
- 200g green flat or Roman beans, cut into 3cm lengths
- Sea salt
Season chicken. Heat olive oil in a large pot over high heat.
Add chicken pieces, reduce heat to medium and cook for 4 minutes, or until browned. Remove and cover.
Add onion and capsicum to oil and saute for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until onion has softened.
Add tomato, stir through and cook for 15 minutes or until pulpy, stirring occasionally.
Return chicken to pan and pour in hot stock.
Increase heat to high, bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add rice and stir through. Continue cooking for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, crush the saffron threads with paprika, thyme, peppercorns and garlic using a mortar and pestle.
Add a few tablespoons of hot stock from the pan and mix well.
Add spice mix to the rice and stir through.
Add beans to pot and continue to cook for 15 minutes or until rice is just tender and the chicken cooked. Season with salt to taste.
Got a favourite recipe? Share your recipe