Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston in a scene from The Bodyguard.
According to Kevin Costner, Princess Diana was in talks to star in the sequel to The Bodyguard.
In an interview scheduled to air in May on Anderson Cooper’s daytime talk show, Costner reveals that not only did he court the Princess to star in the sequel to his 1992 hit, but the late royal was eager to take on the role. It would have been her first acting endeavor.
Vanity Fair has posted the comments from Costner's interview:
“Diana and I had been talking about doing Bodyguard 2 ... I told her I would take care of her just the same way that I took care of Whitney. . . . She wanted me to write it for her. I said ‘I’ll tailor it for you if you’re interested.’ She goes: ‘I am interested.’”
The sequel, ironically enough, would have centered on Costner’s Bodyguard character, Frank Farmer, protecting Diana’s character from paparazzi and stalkers before the pair become romantically involved. The actor told Cooper that he received the script for the sequel on August 31, 1997, the day before Princess Diana died in Paris in a car crash that was originally blamed on paparazzi, who were following the vehicle that carried her and Dodi Fayed.
Costner also told the talk-show host he twice wrote letters to Whitney Houston to try and encourage her to conquer her addictions.
“There are some people that really love Whitney, and a couple times during the last seven, eight years, (they) asked me, would I write her a letter?” recalls the actor, who spoke at the singer's February funeral.
“She would always be close to me, she would always be somebody I appreciated.”
“When someone says, will you write a letter to someone who you know is having trouble … I did.” he adds. “I don’t know if those letters were ever read.”
From: Vanity Fair and Today Entertainment.