Michelle Bridges' No Excuses dinners
Beef and oyster sauce stir-fry.
Biggest Loser trainer and Sunday Life columnist Michelle Bridges shares a couple of her favourite recipes from her new tome, No Excuses Cook Book. The recipes are fresh, healthy and easy enough for any kitchen novice to master.
Thai fish burgers.
Thai fish burgers in lettuce cups
These burgers look amazing and taste just as good. You won’t miss the bun
400 g white fish fillet, skin off, deboned and cut into chunks
The No Excuses Cookbook, by Michelle Bridges.
100 g green beans, finely chopped
1½ tablespoons Thai red curry paste
2 spring onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cooking oil spray
6 small iceberg lettuce leaves, trimmed into cups
½ Lebanese cucumber, shredded
2 tablespoons coriander sprigs lime wedges, to serve
1. Using the pulse button on your food processor, process the fish very gently until just broken up. Transfer to a large bowl, add the beans, curry paste, spring onion, chopped coriander and pepper, and stir until well combined.
2. Lightly spray a non-stick frying pan with oil and heat on medium. Drop quarter-cups of the fish mixture into the pan to form burger patties, pressing each down lightly with the back of a spatula. Cook for 3–4 minutes each side until golden and cooked through.
3. Place the patties into the lettuce cups and top with the cucumber and coriander sprigs. Serve with lime wedges.
Serves 2| prep 25 minutes | cook 20 minutes|cal per serve 268
- Don’t over-process the fish or the texture will be tough.
- You can make smaller or large burger patties depending on your preference. Wetting your hands with cold water will help prevent the fish mixture sticking to them.
Beef and oyster sauce stir-fry
Quick, healthy and very more-ish – watch your portion sizes!
2 teaspoons peanut oil
1 bunch broccolini, cut into 4 cm chunks
1 red onion, cut into wedges
125 g baby sweet corn, halved lengthwise on the diagonal
175 g rump steak, fat trimmed, sliced250 g mixed mushrooms (brown, oyster, etc.), chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 cm piece ginger, peeled and shredded
1½ tablespoons oyster sauce
1. Heat half the oil in a wok on high and stir-fry the broccolini, onion and corn for 5 minutes or until just tender. Remove from the wok.
2. Heat the remaining oil in the wok, add the beef and stir-fry until just browned. Remove from the wok.
3. Stir-fry the mushrooms, garlic and ginger for 3–4 minutes or until they’re browned and the moisture has evaporated. Return the vegetables and beef to the wok, add the oyster sauce and stir-fry until well coated.
Serve 2 | prep 15 minutes | cook 10 minutes | cal per serve 343
- You can halve or quarter the mushrooms, depending on the size.
- It’s important to just sear the beef, or it will overcook and be tough.
This is an edited extract from The No Excuses Cook Book by Michelle Bridges. (Viking, $29.95).